Friday, September 25, 2009

Budgets

Since I've been married, one thing I've learned in great detail about is learning how to make a budget. I pride myself on the fact that I lived for nearly two years on my own before I married. I was the first woman in my family to not get married while still in college. Without much money I made things work. I even invested in a 401k my first year. So, in a sense, I had money to spare. I never actually wrote/typed out a budget; I just knew when I could and could not spend money. Today I have to run to Greenville to pick up our sugar bowl for our everyday China that I ordered. Naturally I want to indulge and buy something for myself. Houston has made out the budget, and we have no money for indulgences. : ( Luckily, I remembered I have a gift card for Dillards!! I say all of this to make a point. Yes, weight loss comes down to one simple factor - calories in, calories out. It's kind of like making a day-to-day budget for our body, no? Well, there are some events coming up for the month of October and I know I want to save up for those. It's nice to go to an event and have a glass of champagne or eat a piece of cake. It's fine and it's perfectly OK to do that. I think we should allow ourselves to indulge from time to time. So, I'm being really good and eating properly until then. By that time, I will have worked so hard that I'll be less inclined to really blow it and binge. I think it's healthy to practice delayed gratification. Everything comes so fast these days! Let's delay our pleasure and really appreciate the things we work for when we genuinely earn them.

1 comment: